Thanks to all the students, faculty, staff and community volunteers who participated in Don't Throw it Away (DTiA!)
Since 2001 - ACT has distributed over $100,000 of grant funding to Community Partners for energy efficiency improvements from the money raised during Don't Throw it Away (DTiA) and the Big Sale.
Don't Throw it Away (DTiA) is a spring tradition created and run by students to reduce the landfill waste produced during the end-of-year move out. Students donate their unwanted items when they move out of dorms and apartments. Once headed for the landfill, these items are stored at Legends during the summer and become a treasure-trove of amazing bargains during the Big Sale. Hundreds of shoppers arrive bright and early on the first Saturday of the fall semester to buy and re-use those-once-unwanted items. Last year, ACT raised and awarded $25,593 of grants for eligible Community Partners to pay for energy efficient improvements. Lower monthly energy bills allow non-profits to channel the savings to clients and services while decreasing energy consumption in our region.
Truly a win-win opportunity for everyone, DTiA and the Big Sale highlight the missions of our local non-profit partners and App State's commitment to sustainability and demonstrate how positive action makes our community a better place to live.
How does it work?
- Most anything is accepted - shower caddies, lamps, futons, clean carpets and non-perishable food items!
- Many hands make light work, we need you to make this program a success! (2018 DTiA and Big Sale raised $25,593!)
- The week before graduation, items in decent condition are donated in residence halls by students or directly to Legends for off-campus students or community members.
- In each residence hall, items are left in designated areas marked with blue tape and signs indicating it is a DTiA drop-off point.
- Items are collected nightly during the final exam period by wonderful volunteers from students, staff, and community members. Volunteers are fed a free and delicious dinner at the end of each collection.
- Items are taken to Legends where they are sorted and stored for the summer to be sold at the beginning of the fall semester at The BIG Sale. This is a big yard sale with giant impact!
Who was awarded grants last year?
See previous BIG Sale grant recipients and the energy efficient projects that their grant money funded. Applications will close on Friday, March 15th at 5pm!
Please reach out to Macki Snyder (email@example.com) or contact the ACT office at (828) 262-2545, firstname.lastname@example.org.